11.06.2008

He's Beginning To Understand Women

Last week, my most recent obsession, Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, came to a peak. I read the book. Again. I watched the BBC mini series AND the theater release AND Bridget Jones's Diary. Bridget Jones wasn't really planned, I just happened to run across it playing on one of the channels we get. Fate.  
I love it when stuff like that happens. One morning last month, while I was getting ready for work, I told Eddie about the most random song that kept turning in my head, from the movie Teen Wolf.  The song jumped in completely out of the blue because I can't remember the last time I saw that movie or heard it referenced.  Rather late THAT NIGHT, I was scanning channels and I saw that Teen Wolf was on.  So I flipped to it.  The song was playing.  It only plays at one point in the movie, near the end.  I couldn't believe it.  This had to be more than a coincidence.  I got so excited at the circumstance that I just knew Eddie would be as caught up in the amazement of the moment as I was.  He was on the other side of the house, so it was natural that I run.  I didn't realize that he was asleep and that my quick pace down the hall would wake him up, alerting him to my urgent need to share.  Except for the fact that he mistook my excited urgency for scared urgency and woke up a little startled.  He was ready to battle the obvious army of intruders chasing me down the hall.  Communication between husband and wife is harder in moments like this.  He's focused and groggy and a little scared I might be in danger, but I NEED him to understand this, my moment and to share it with me.

He just couldn't grasp it.

Back to my Mr. Darcy, I mean my Jane Austen fix.  Eddie decided that if he wanted to spend any time with me during that little phase that he would have to do it in my new world.  So, my dear husband braved a viewing of Keira Knightley's Elizabeth Bennett with me one evening.  He calls those "Carriage Movies."  He's grouped all movies that have a carriage on screen at some point into a greater category of movies he has no interest in watching.  Ever.  This is how I know he loves me.  We watched the carriage movie together and I got closer to him on the couch...and we kissed...and we got closer...until we were sharing a cushion...  

This week I came home from work to my husband on the same couch, relaxing with a smile on his face.  He said, "Look.  I've got a surprise for you."  He picks up the remote control and pulls up the DVR menu.  One new addition.  The Notebook.        

3 Comments:

Blogger KJ said...

Takes a note: level of disinterest in movie is inversely related to level of cuddling. Thanks Eddie.

I've heard many conversations about "carriage movies". I, however, have one exception: The Count of Monte Cristo.

PS: SchiPATE!

11/8/08, 12:30 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Math was never my strong suit. The level of DISinterest is EQUAL to the level of cuddling. Right. One's high, the other's high.

Ressers!

11/8/08, 12:47 PM  
Blogger ktm said...

Nope... nothing about the disinterest... about the CONTENT of the movie. The content.

11/8/08, 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts      Older Posts